Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Baltimore Scholar Testifies Before Congress!

June 29, 2010 - Higher Achievement scholar, Ariea Hughes testified in support of the Congressional reauthorization of the summer breakfast and lunch program. Ariea delivered an impressive testimony and stole the show! Speaking in front of Senator Brown from Ohio, the head of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the director of Food Research and Action Center (FRAC), Ariea participated on a panel with two other people and was the only young person to speak.

See below to read a portion of Ariea's testimony:

"The summer is a very important time because when it’s time for us to go to the next grade, we’ll be ahead. Higher Achievement and the Summer Food Program are important because they help me reach my goal and my goal is to get and finish my education. By providing me with breakfast and lunch each day, I get balanced meals that help me focus. By eating healthy foods, we do better in school. Each day we get a complete meal, which includes meat, vegetables, fruit, and a snack. The food is very nutritious and it feeds our brains and gives us energy. Higher Achievement also teaches us nutrition tips of the day about why we should eat healthy. I have learned a lot from these tips and feel good about myself for eating healthy foods."

No comments:

Post a Comment